Friday, July 13, 2007

Tropical gardening - Bowles' Mint

Mint or Mentha is a widely used herb all over the world. Its history can be traced all the way back to Roman times. There are 25 species of mints and they are perennials. I like perennials as they are more long lasting. Mints are consumed for colds, indigestion and migraine. They are inhaled to relief colds, chest infections, catarrh and asthma. It can also act as insect repellent to deter ants.
Where to get
Mint can be acquired from nursery/supermarkets (they sell them in small little pots). How did was I purchased them from the wet market and thrust them into the soil. Most of them time 20% of those will survive and flourish. muahahaha.... I know. I am extremely lazy. muahahaha..
How to maintain
Mint needs damp or wet soils. Place them under partial shade and trim the plant to promote regeneration. I usually do my trimming when I am cooking. Hehe.. But I strongly suggest this plant as freshly plucked herbs are more fragrant than those purchased from market.
Note
Excess use may cause allergic reactions.

No comments:

Hello... Asia!

Namaste! Ni Hao! Apa khabar? Sawadika! Salam! Annyeonghasaeyo? Genki Desu Ka? Seen chaw! Kohomadha! Tashi Delay! Vanakkum! Mingalabar!